Dedalus Architecture is an architecture and specialist historic building consultancy. Dedalus is an RIAI accredited Grade 1 conservation practice providing architectural, conservation and heritage research services to government agencies, local authorities, corporate bodies, private developers and community groups. The business is based in Moville, Inishowen, Co. Donegal and provides general architectural services to the local market and specialist services throughout Ireland.
Specialist services include work with existing and historic buildings, conservation planning, repair and adaptive reuse. Consultancy services include research, writing for publication and policy development. The business was established, by managing director Duncan McLaren, in 2001 after more than 15 years of distinguished work in employment in London and Dublin. The practice currently employs three other staff including a part-time office manager. The significant amount of repeat work undertaken by the practice demonstrates their ability to deliver projects in a cost effective manner to a consistently high standard.
Products and Services
Dedalus Architecture has expertise in the following areas:
- Built Heritage Conservation – Dedalus Architecture is a Grade 1 accredited conservation practice. Duncan McLaren is one of only 34 Grade 1 Conservation practices in all Ireland.
- Building Facilities Management & Preventative Maintenance projects
- Heritage management & policy research
- Ecological-Building– Dedalus has developed a specialism in Eco-related architecture, having completed a number of recent community based projects.
- Retail Banking & Security projects
Additional professional architectural support and support from other disciplines are procured as needed on a project basis. Dedalus Architecture has developed working partnerships with practitioners in other complementary fields including: town & country planning, archaeology, ecology, engineering and geographical information systems (GIS).
- Dedalus Architecture is a registered practice with the Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland (RIAI).
- Duncan McLaren is also a registered architect in Ireland and in the UK; he is also a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
- Duncan has been on the panel of conservation advisors to the Heritage Council since 2002
- Dedalus Architecture is a registered business name; and the practice operates as a limited company registered in the Republic of Ireland.